Wild Game Recipe: Snow Goose Pot Pie
Cory Loeffler leads a unique lifestyle. He’s an expert waterfowl hunter, caller, gardener, wild game cook, and lover of life.
As a professional call maker, he’s not only passionate about waterfowl hunting, he’s deeply intentional in the way he consumes the resources that surround him. He desires to be efficient and conscientious, utilizing every part of the animal he harvests while growing his own produce. “My grandparents grew up right in the heart of the great depression, so they had to provide food to put on their table. That was passed down to my mom, and my mom passed that down to me,” Cory says. This effort has led him to create a diverse list of wild game recipes. Below is Cory’s favorite snow goose preparation.
- 2 POUNDS OF SNOW GOOSE (PLUCKED WITH SKIN ON IS PREFERRED)
- 3 TABLESPOONS RENDERED DUCK FAT (IF YOU DON'T HAVE THIS, USE OLIVE OIL)
- 3 TABLESPOONS FLOUR
- 1 MEDIUM ONION - FINELY CHOPPED
- 3 MEDIUM CARROTS - DICED
- 4 OUNCES OF MUSHROOMS
- 2 MEDIUM POTATOES - FINELY DICED
- 4 CLOVES GARLIC
- 1 CUP FROZEN PEAS
- 1/2 CUP DRY RED WINE (CAN SUBSTITUTE WITH WATER)
- 2 CUPS BEEF BROTH
- 2 TABLESPOONS TOMATO PASTE
- 1 TABLESPOON SOY SAUCE
- 1 TABLESPOON WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
- SALT & PEPPER TO TASTE
- 2 - 9" PIE CRUSTS (STORE-BOUGHT OR MADE-FROM-SCRATCH)
- ADD FAT/OIL TO PAN, TURN HEAT TO HIGH. ONCE HOT, ADD SNOW GOOSE BREASTS SKIN DOWN. SEAR THEM UNTIL RARE AND THEN PULL THEM OUT OF PAN. SET ASIDE.
- REDUCE HEAT TO MEDIUM, ADD ONIONS TO PAN. IF NEEDED, ADD 1.5 TABLESPOONS TO PAN. COOK UNTIL TRANSLUCENT THEN ADD CARROTS. COOK ABOUT 5 MINUTES, SCRAPING UP ANY STUCK BITS TO THE PAN. ADD TOMATO PASTE AND GARLIC, MIX IN WELL.
- STIR IN WINE (OR WATER) AND COOK UNTIL EVAPORATED, ABOUT 2 MINUTES. STIR IN FLOUR UNTIL THE VEGETABLES ARE WELL COATED (THIS WILL CREATE YOUR ROUX, WHICH WILL THICKEN YOUR GRAVY) AND COOK FOR 1 MINUTE.
- ADD BEEF BROTH, SOY SAUCE AND WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE, STIR UNTIL COMBINED. ADD SNOW GOOSE MEAT BACK IN AND SIMMER FOR 1/2 HOUR.
- ADD IN POTATOES AND MUSHROOMS. SIMMER FOR ANOTHER 1/2 HOUR. TURN OFF STOVE.
- VERY IMPORTANT - LET GRAVY COOL BEFORE PUTTING INTO PIE CRUST.
- PUT BOTTOM PIE CRUST IN A PIE PAN. GREASE PAN.
- ONCE GRAVY IS COOL, ADD IN PEAS AND STIR UNTIL COMBINED. TRANSFER TO PIE PAN.
- COVER GRAVY WITH TOP PIE CRUST AND PINCH AROUND EDGES TO CREATE A SEAL.
- CUT A FEW SLITS IN THE TOP OF THE PIE TO LET STEAM ESCAPE.
- BAKE AT 375. CHECK THE PIE AFTER 20 MINUTES. IF TOP IS GOLDEN BROWN, REMOVE. IF NOT YET BROWN, BAKE A LITTLE LONGER. LET SIT FOR 10 MINS BEFORE CUTTING INTO IT.